Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thank You Michael Jackson


I am heartbroken by Michael Jackson's passing. It was way too soon! Listening to his music and dancing to it over the years has provided me with wonderful memories and more than a plethora of fun. Oh yes, "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...". Who sang that?

My good friend Karen was my partner in crime when it came to being a Michael Jackson fan. In addition to watching his videos, she and I played the Thriller al
bum repeatedly, and spent countless hours singing and dancing with joy to his tunes! When the American Music Awards came on in 1984, we were glued to the TV, and ecstatic to see him win eight well-deserved awards.

Karen, dancing, back in the day.
Back about that same time, I recall a party that I had at my house. As the night wore on, I noticed people weren't dancing anymore, and it looked like they might be winding down so I headed straight for Michael Jackson. The moment the first beat permeated the room, everyone jumped up and started dancing!

When the song ended, I played tunes by other artists but every time it appeared that the party was slowing, I'd play Beat it or Billie Jean. I got the same reaction every time so I repeated the process--Michael Jackson, other artists, Michael Jackson, other artists, and so on! It's funny when I think about it now because Michael's music got me four or five
encores out of that party and it lasted well into the night.

My very best Michael Jackson memory, however, is his 1984 Victory tour. He was coming to Texas Stadium and the ticket distribution was only to be done by mail.
Naturally, Karen and I planned to go! Our husbands were not big Michael Jackson fans and even made fun of us at times. Nevertheless, they thought they might get a kick out of watching us (or so they said) and they wanted to go too.

We
sent off for our tickets, timing our check to arrive at the very moment they went on sale, and it paid off. We got 3rd row floor seats! We were a little to the left of center stage, and so close that it was almost like being on stage. It would have been impossible to miss a thing! In fact, when Michael threw his hat out into the audience during Billy Jean, the girl behind Karen caught it.

Karen sent me the
YouTube link below of that hat tossing moment from that very concert! The quality, of course, is not like it would be today but it's still neat! Well, it's neat to me anyway, and I thought some of you might like it too. Click here to see the clip.

Watching Michael dance was completely spellbinding. He moved with precision and perfection, and of course, his signature move, the Moonwalk, was cool, smooth
, and a blast to see in person!

Michael's brothers performed with him too which was fun but a surprise guest was on hand that would definitely kick the show up another notch. Just before Beat it, Michael introduced Eddie Van Halen. The stadium went wild! Eddie played guitar for Beat it, and of course, it was the awesome highlight of the show!

Karen sent me a link of that clip too. Click here to see it. In the middle of Beat it when Michael is yelling "Eddie! Eddie! Eddie!", it reminds me of just how much he clearly loved entertaining!
The concert was fantastic to say the least! Way above and beyond my expectations. We all had a fabulous time!

As the world says good bye to Michael today, I say thank you Michael for the memories, music, and exceptionally good times! You are gone but your music lives on. It has always made me smile, and made me wanna dance, and it will continue to do so. You are loved by millions around the world, and I am one of them! God Bless you.


Dancing & Smiling in honor of Michael Jackson
D~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please know that each and every one of your kind comments are greatly appreciated!