Saturday, July 24, 2010

Durango~Day 4 ~ Pagosa Springs and Hiking to Piedra Falls


We decided to check out Pagosa Springs on day 4. As soon as we got into town, we stopped at the Visitor Center. One of the first brochures we saw was for Driving Tours & Hiking Trails, and we decided hiking might be fun.

After lunch and some shopping, we decided on the Piedra Falls hiking trail and headed out. It was a 23-mile drive through the middle of NOWHERE to get to the hiking trail.

On our way to the trail, we spotted
this path. It led to the edge of a
cliff so we stopped and walked down.
The dot at the top of the path is our vehicle.

The path led us here.

Notice the chains on the edge where
a rock climber climbed up or down.
I had some fear of height issues here!

As we drove toward the hiking trail, I was a little worried about running into a bear. Since we'd been in Colorado, we heard bear stories from our zip lining Sky Rangers. They walked a mile to work and back, and ran into bears nearly every day. We saw posters in stores about dealing with bear attacks, and it seemed bear talk was every where.

About the time we arrived at the trail, I remembered that I was wearing a brand new pair of WHITE Easy Spirit SLIP-ON Sneakers.

Isn't that what all the experienced hikers wear?

I took comfort in knowing that I could pull them off quickly in the even that I need to beat up a bear with one (or two). These hiking sneakers could come in very handy!

Easy Spirit sounds hikey too, doesn't it? Hikey is my new made-up word. It's a good thing they were white too because I would need my feet to be color coordinated with the snow if we ran into a blizzard. I don't want to look down in the middle of a whiteout and see a hot mess on my feet!

Okay, seriously--I had no idea we'd be hiking when I left the room that morning.

When we arrived at the trail, there were about seven or eight cars there. Between the fact that there were other people hiking, and I was wearing my quick-draw shoes, I abandoned my bear fears.

As we walked the path, we passed families with children and other folks. Not one of them had on White Easy Spirit Slip-On Sneakers. Morons!

A babbling stream on our hiking path.
It reminded me of me.
George trucking along.
Notice he's wearing white sneakers too!
His don't slip off easily for bear beating though.

Approaching the falls!
Think Pink Panther music.


Here it is, Peidra Falls.
Not exactly Niagara Falls but another one
of God's amazing creations nonetheless!
It sang a beautiful, powerful, gushing song!

We paused at this tree...
(pause pause pause pause)


...in our white hiking footwear.
(pause pause pause pause)
(blah, blah, blah, blah)

When we got back in our vehicle
and headed out, we saw these deer.

And cattle in the road too.
I LOVED hiking and I want to do it again! It was refreshing and the weather was perfect! We picked an easy, short hike (20 minutes or so each way) which was good because it was after 4:00 when we got to the trail.

We would like to go hiking the next time we go back. Next time, we'll be hiking-boot ready and a longer hike would be nice! We've got our eye on the Piedra River hike. We saw the spot where it starts, and it is just past the cliffs where we stopped and took pictures above.

Here's the description of that hike:

The upper terminus of the trail begins on the Piedra Road about 16 miles north of Pagosa Springs. After crossing the Piedra River, you will notice the trailhead parking lot ahead of you on the left. The trail starts on the canyon rim and then descends to the river. Sheer cliffs rise on both sides for over several hundred yards. (I think that's the cliffs in the pic above.) This is an easy trail for young and old alike if you only go the 3.5 miles to the foot bridge across the Piedra. For a longer hike, follow the river for another 8.5 miles. The trail passes several cool box canyons to end at the bridge on the First Fork of the Piedra Road. Shuttle a vehicle to the First Fork Bridge for the longer hike.

I'm thinking start early, pack a picnic lunch, and take the longer hike.

Next up Days 5 and 6!

Hiking a Smile,
D~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please know that each and every one of your kind comments are greatly appreciated!