Thursday, June 4, 2009

Mice or Rabbits?

What are they? Last evening, the dogs were fixated on a little hole in the dog pen so I investigated and saw something moving in it. George was nearby cleaning out the shop so I called for him to come check it out. He used a piece of metal to reach in the hole, and this is what he pulled out. Our neighborhood is rabbit city right now so I thought at first that they might be rabbits. George thinks they're mice and so do I. Creepy, huh?
The hair in and all around the hole looks like rabbit hair too! Perhaps a mouse beat up a rabbit and scalped him?
Geo scooped them into the pooper scooper and threw them over the back fence into a wooded area to let nature take care of them.
About five minutes later, George was cleaning out the shop and he started laughing. "Go look in that green thing," he tells me. Yikes! A snake skin!
A snake shed its skin in the shop!
I started looking for the naked snake but Geo says it's probably not in the shop anymore. BUT how do you know? It looks like the head was pointed. Doesn't that mean it's poisonous? If so, I'm thinking rattlesnake! Geo suggested it might be a rat snake. Rat snake, Rattlesnake, it doesn't matter! A snake is a snake!

Here's the skin in the
middle of the floor.


This morning when I got up, I decided to try something different and let Daisy go out the doggy door with Sally and Mitzi. In the past, Daisy has jumped the fence in the dogpen which puts her in the big yard, however, she has gotten out of the big yard too so I don't leave the doggy door open anymore. In the mornings, I usually let Sally & Mitzi out the doggy door and I take Daisy out on a leash. This morning when I let all three dogs out into the dogpen, they hovered around the same mouse hole that they were fixated on last night.

I'm watching out the window to see if Daisy is going to try to jump the fence, and I see her with a mouse in her mouth! Yikes, we must have missed one last night! As I'm hurrying to get my shoes on and get out there, Daisy comes running in and drops it in the middle of the kitchen floor. Ewww! I scooped it into the pooper scooper and threw it over the back fence. Boy, did I need a cup of coffee!

While downloading these photos, I looked out the front window and saw this little bunny. I prefer the cute cottontails to the mice any day!

We're thinking about ordering a giraffe and an elephant off the internet, and opening a zoo in our backyard!


Keep on smilin'
D~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please know that each and every one of your kind comments are greatly appreciated!