Friday, June 12, 2009

Not So Hip and Not So Happening, But it's What's Goin' on Around here!


A NEW ZOO MEMBER

One day last week, we opened the garage and this small baby turtle was just outside. We see a bigger box turtle around the yard once or twice a year but this is the first time we've ever seen this little guy. It's one more animal to add to our fast growing zoo.

THE ANSWER TO MY LAST POST,
"MICE OR RABBITS?"


Speaking of zoo. Rabbits is the answer to my last post! I am so traumatized that we got rid of them! I wish I'd have known because we could have put wire fencing around their little rabbit hole, and let them stay until they grew up, and went off to bunny college. I feel so bad!

I wish I'd have listened to my first instinct which was that they were rabbits. I told George that it looked like rabbit hair covering the hole and I'd seen a rabbit in the dog's pen a couple of times. They were clues, hints! But did I listen to my instinct--Ooooh Noooooo! And I didn't take a hint either! Linda called me immediately when she saw the post to tell me they were rabbits and Jeanne mentioned it too when I talked to her.

When I found this out, I asked George how he threw them over the fence and he told me that he dropped them over rather gently. I am hoping they lived and got adopted by the rabbit that we always see back there. Our fence in the back is wire and we often see the aforementioned rabbit when we're sitting under the pavilion. I think she lives in the little brier area back there. I am thinking that maybe she has a little rabbit adoption agency set up in the brier--file cabinets, desk, computer, beds, list of baby seeking clients, nurse, ordained minister--fully equipped for any situation. As far as the rabbit Daisy brought in, I am not sure that it was alive, and I did chunk it over the fence. Next time, we'll know.

DAPPLED SHADE

Also last week, George and I sat out under the pavilion one evening as the sun was beginning to set. The temperature was perfect and there was a light breeze which felt fabulous.

I ran into the house to get my camera
so I could take a picture of this dappled
shade to share with y'all.
I love it!


More dappled shade! Or is
it more like dappled sun?

And George, Sally & Mitzi of course.

A REALLY WICKED STORM

The night before last, we had one hellacious storm. Of course, this is not news to anybody who lives in the North Texas/Southern Oklahoma vicinity. This photo was taken at 7:00 p.m. when the storm hit here. As you can see, it was pitch black outside. These doors face the west and rain pounded them for 20 to 30 minutes straight. At times, I could hear hail pellets hitting them too. The wind was wicked, 60, 70 mph, maybe more. I'm not sure on that but I did hear in some areas over 70 mph.


The next day, I went up to the pavilion and tree area to see if there was storm damage. I was greeted by my dethroned welcome flag on the ground.

Leaves still connected to short little
pieces of limbs were everywhere
and I do mean everywhere!


This tree was snapped in
half as if it was a twig!


This is the entire tree.

And this giant pink and wavy arrow showed up too! (Amazing what these Texas storms blow in!) It's pointing to the damage on this limb which is hanging there not connected to the tree. It's pretty high up but George will get it down somehow.

This tree is really leaning forward. It was already leaning but now I think it's trying to take a bow. Or a bowel movement!
I think I'll sign off
on that crappy note!


More soon.
Smile on!
D~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please know that each and every one of your kind comments are greatly appreciated!