Thursday, March 19, 2015

Cayman Islands~Part 1

We spent the first week of March in the Cayman Islands with Jack & Middy, and had an amazing time!  Jack & Middy have been to the Caymans many times so they know the lay of the land and where to go.


On the first day, we took off to explore and started with a stop at Macabuca Oceanside Tiki Bar & Grill for lunch.  I think it's also called the Cracked Conk.



Next, we headed down a dirt road along the ocean.  There were many spots to pull up to the ocean so we did.

Places like this one.

Look at that colorful ocean!
And sky.
The water is gorgeous!
George is too.

The variety of ocean colors were incredible--a little green, lots of aqua and many other blues!

It's a bird.  
It's a plane.  
It's an idiot with a stick 
and her curious sister-in-law!

We wanted to take a selfie with the 
colorful water in the background.  
You can see how well that worked out for us!
You can't even see the water!

Our lovely driver and experienced navigator.

~~~  Day Two  ~~~

Today, we explored the other side of the island with the main goal being Rum Point.
 The owner of Home Depot's house.

Across the street from the HD house.

Geo made a friend, Betsy the Tourist. 

 Appropriately, Betsy is sporting a camera.

Betsy's story.

Be still my heart.

Geo & Middy


Isn't this a pretty pink tree bloom of some sort?  We saw quite a few on the ground in various locations throughout the trip and wondered what kind of tree they come from.  
 Do any of you folks in Blogland know what 
kind of tree creates these unique blooms?

After a bit of wandering, we reached Rum Point. 

I love, love, love this cute place!
One "love" just doesn't cover it for me.  
I needed three!

Pastel-colored picnic tables dot the beach 
and light-weight tarps add even more 
shade beneath the pretty trees.

Lunch was quite yummy too!

An ample amount of very cool signs can be found on trees, buildings and everywhere in between.  
I get a kick out of whimsical signs!

Sign, sign,
Everywhere a sign,

Blockin' out the scenery

Breakin' my mind

Do this. 
Don't do that.  
Can you read my sign?
I can't help it but that song, 
Signs, just pops into my mind.
Yep, it just forced it's way in.

Do you remember who sang it?  
I believe it was Five Man Electrical Band.

Of course, Jack, Geo and Middy are  
bluffing but a giant leap would have 
made for a good picture, especially if 
they stopped and posed in mid-air!

The Caribbean off the Rum Point dock.
Talk about popping vibrant colors!
Go ahead, talk about it.  
Discuss amongst yourselves.

The view of Rum Point from the dock.

After Rum Point, we checked out Starfish Point.

Walking through shin-to-knee-high water, 
we saw many of these lovely creatures.
Do you think perhaps they were originally silver and blue, and said Dallas Cowboys on them? And maybe, just maybe, time has worn it all off?

True or not, they're certainly unique!
Very cool!

Conk shells were found too.
As you might imagine, they're plentiful.

Once we finished the Rum Point and Starfish Point portion of our day, we headed into George Town to mess around.
Here we go.

The guys kept calling this ship Jolly something.
Jolly Roger?  Jolly Rancher?
Could have been 
Holly Jolly Christmas for all I know!


Found some injuns.

Hey, Mon!
Geo, Mon!

Can you guess the restaurant 
where we found this parrot?
Sure you can.

Yes, it's Margaritaville and this is the 
view of George Town from their deck.


~~~~   Day Three  ~~~

We decided to go horseback riding on the beach, and since we were pretty sure they didn't have one super long horse with one super long saddle that the four of us could ride, we had to take separate horses!  I hadn't ridden a horse since I was a child!

Thankfully, we used steps to get on 
them because I was having visions of  
jumping on and flying off the other side.

 Jack's ready to go.

I'm ready to go.

Middy's ready too.
 So is George but he's taking the pictures.

Such a lovely beach.

With a delightful breeze.

I'm riding Summer, 
Middy is riding Eclipse,
Jack is riding Tequila 
and Geo is on Moonshadow.

We stopped here and got off the horses.

Then, they took the saddles off.

So they could take us riding 
bareback into the ocean! 

Oh, and what an experience!

We rode out until the ocean 
was up to the horses necks!

The water was shallow so we had to ride for about 20-25 minutes to get that deep.  When we started out, some horses were following each other and some were next to each other.  Three other people were with us and three guides.  

Not long after we started out into the water, my horse, Summer, decided she was in the Kentucky Derby and began to gallop (if you can call it galloping in the water).  Whatever it was, she headed to the front of the pack.  

I was told not to pull the reins while in the water or she'll go up on her rear legs but they said I could hang onto the mane and pull on it all I want.  They didn't tell me the mane was the way to stop her, only that I could pull on it all I want!

So, as she takes off, I'm looking to the side, and I see two horse heads right smack next to me exactly like I'm in a horse race.  I could have reached out and easily touched them, even tripped over them.  We were definitely neck and neck!  

I'm thinking how do I stop this horse but I just keep hanging on!  We pass the neck-in-neck horses, and are about to take the lead from two others when Summer finally stops.  I think I tugged on the mane hard enough without knowing it and stopped her but it was just a nose too soon!  I think we showed.  Or placed. Whichever one is second place.

The rest of the ride out was just as neat!  Finally, some of the horses started making a noise that sounded like growling dogs.  The guides said that's the way they manage their breathing once the water gets above their backs but we DID turn around at that point.  We really had no choice.  We couldn't have gone much deeper!

It was an awesome experience 
and a memory that I will cherish! 

Next up, the second and final part of the trip.

See you soon.

Still Smilin'
D~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please know that each and every one of your kind comments are greatly appreciated!